Spread the Word to Parents and Caregivers
- Help mothers/caregivers understand the importance of early oral health care and how to properly care for their own and their child’s mouth.
- Inform pregnant women/mothers/guardians that oral health is necessary for good overall health.
- Parents have the power to prevent tooth decay by making oral health care a priority for themselves and their child.
- Tooth decay is expensive and time consuming to fix and can lead to dangerous infection.
Relay the following messages:
- See a dentist during pregnancy, it is safe! Studies show failing to treat oral diseases can trigger preterm birth or low birth-weight babies.
- Brush with fluoride toothpaste! Mom and baby need to brush with fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
- First visit by first birthday! whether teeth have appeared or not.
- Fluoride is important! Drinking fluoridated water and brushing with fluoride toothpaste are key to preventing tooth decay.
- Do not lay baby down with a bottle and do not use a sippy cup!