How to Care for Your Mouth While You are Pregnant
Caring for your mouth while you are pregnant is important. The health of your mouth can affect you and your baby.
- Brush your teeth, gums, and tongue twice a day (especially before bed) with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss your teeth once a day. Use about a foot and a half of dental floss and wrap the ends around your fingers. Gently slide the floss up and down between each tooth.
- Visit the Dentist
- Choose healthy food & drinks
- Avoid foods and drinks with added sugar, such as soda, juice, punch, cookies, and candy.
- Eat healthy foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables for ultimate oral and overall health.
Why is my oral health so important while I’m pregnant?
- Your body is changing in many ways to support your pregnancy. These changes can cause dental problems if you do not take good care of your mouth.
- Taking care of your teeth and mouth is one of the first ways you can care for your unborn child, and it is just as important as eating well and taking prenatal vitamins.
- Poor oral health can cause gum disease, such as pregnancy gingivitis, which can hurt, look unattractive, and may be a cause of early birth or low birth-weight babies.