Health Care Providers
Help parents/caregivers properly care for their own and their child’s mouth
- The latest research and recommendations urge dentists to see children by their first birthday for early prevention of tooth decay. (AAPD, Guideline on Infant Oral Health Care, 2011)
- Pediatric dental leaders recommend brushing teeth as soon as they come in with a smear of fluoride toothpaste – twice a day, especially before bed.
- Inform parents/caregivers about the link between oral health and overall health.
- Talk to parents/caregivers about the importance of giving their child healthy foods, including fruits and vegetables and food and drinks without added sugar.
- Talk to parents/caregivers using plain language.